PhysLink.com Logo
Back to School Sale
Back to School Sale

Question

I have noticed that many Einstein quotes mention his belief in 'truth and beauty' - I was wondering, is it purely coincidental that two of the six quarks are also named truth and beauty?
Asked by: Jenn Comito

Answer

The six quarks are up, down, strange, charm, top and bottom. I don't believe any of these have a reference to Einstein behind them. However, in science there is a guideline know as the Copernican Principle that states that the universe does not need human contrivance to exist. More generally, a theory that is formed on basic truths and simplistic beauty is much more acceptable than one with many in-depth facets. Einstein did believe that the universe is essentially simple. This explains his continued unrest with the quantum theory and the 'fuzzy' universe it allowed.
Answered by: Bruce McElwee
xUmp Science eStore

Albert Einstein Photo

'A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

- All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com