PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How many known elements are there now?
Asked by: Yekaterina

Answer

As of now there are 118 known elements.

Note that the elements such as 118 (Oganesson) are very unstable, although Oganesson technically should be a noble gas and thus stable, it has an incredibly short life and will decay to element 116 in a fraction of a second.

It has been theorized that elements with atomic numbers approaching 125 will be stable at normal conditions and could be used for various industrial purposes.
Answered by: David Balson, Ph.D., String Theorist, PPARC, United Kingdom

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'To myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.'

Isaac Newton
(1643-1727)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy