PhysLink.com Logo

Question

Why is a light colored T-shirt cooler to wear than a dark colored T-shirt?
Asked by: Cameron Wilson

Answer

By 'cooler' I assume you are referring to temperature, not making a fashion statement.

Sunlight consists of a mixture of all visible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation (light). When all visible wavelengths enter the eye simultaneously, the color white is perceived. Black is the absence of any light. Other colors are sensed when selected wavelengths are present--longer wavelengths are perceived as red, shorter ones as blue or violet.

An object's color in the sun depends on which wavelengths it absorbs and, therefore, which are reflected away from the object. A shirt that appears red absorbs the shorter wavelengths and reflects longer ones. The reverse is true for a blue shirt. So while a white, or lighter colored, shirt REFLECTS most of the visible wavelengths it is exposed to, a black or dark shirt ABSORBS more wavelengths. Absorbed radiation is converted into heat, making the darker shirt warmer to wear.
Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics, Part-time Physics Instructor

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'I have deep faith that the principle of the universe will be beautiful and simple.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy