Question

What is the difference between the dietary calorie and the physical calorie? Is there a relation between the two?

Asked by: Dee Hampton

Answer

They are both units of energy, but the dietary Calorie (note the use of upper case 'C') equals 1000 'physics' calories. The physics calorie represents an amount of energy needed to raise (or lower) one gram of liquid water by one centigrade degree. That amount of energy is too small to conveniently describe the energy content of food, so the physics 'kilocalorie' is used instead and is, confusingly, called simply a Calorie in dietary terminology. A food Calorie, then, is the amount of energy needed to change the temperature of one KILOGRAM of liquid water (a volume of one liter) one centigrade degree. The food Calorie is often spelled with an upper case 'C' to distinguish it from the smaller calorie.

By the way, this metric measure of energy has an English counterpart which you've probably seen used to describe air conditioners and furnaces. The amount of energy needed to change the temperature of one POUND of liquid water by one degree FAHRENHEIT is called a British Thermal Unit, or BTU. A food Calorie is the equivalent of about 4 BTU's.

Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics, Part-time Physics Instructor

Search

Loading

Click here to get
a FREE ride with Uber!

Click here to
sign up for Birchbox

'Arrows of hate have been shot at me too, but they have never hit me, because somehow they belonged to another world with which I have no connection whatsoever.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Mini Plasma Ball
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Scorpion, Ant, Wasp and Flower Bug
Alnico Bar Magnet - 6 inch Long
Weather Station 4M Kit
Solar Radiometer
Cherry Wood Levitron
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department