PhysLink.com Logo

Question

Does gravity have a speed?
Asked by: Walter Haskins

Answer

If you mean 'does gravity have a speed of propagation?, then the most agreed upon answer is that its speed is c, the speed of light in vacuum, the fastest possible speed.

This can raise surprising thoughts, for example, if somehow the sun were to suddenly disappear, it would take the same amount of time for the light to stop reaching us as it would for our orbit to be destroyed! Intriguing, but to the best of our knowledge, true!
Answered by: Simon Hooks, Physics A-Level Student, Gosport, UK

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'To myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.'

Isaac Newton
(1643-1727)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy