Question

Where are the Pioneer and Voyager space probes? Are they still operating? Is anybody listening to them?

Asked by: Chris Preston

Answer

These space probes are still operating though they are not providing scientific information any longer. In fact NASA announced just recently that it was going to try to make contact with Pioneer if the craft is still capable of sending transmissions. Voyager 1 is now about 12 billion kilometers from earth and Pioneer (actually Pioneer 10) is even farther away and heading towards the constellation Taurus (though it won't get there any time soon!).

If you are interested in learning more about the status of these projects I would refer you to the NASA website where all ongoing projects are listed:

http://www.nasa.gov/projects.html

Answered by: Brent Nelson, M.A. Physics, Ph.D. Student, UC Berkeley

Search

Loading

Support Discovery Capsule - Anton's new project on Kickstarter.

'To myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.'

Isaac Newton
(1643-1727)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
Cool Summer Science Projects

Why not make science a part of your family’s summer? Perhaps you can set aside one day a week for outdoor projects—maybe Mad Scientist Monday or Scientific Saturday? Here are a few ideas to help get you started. Continue reading ...

10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Space Wonder Gyroscope
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Wood Grain Newtons Cradle
Brush Robot 4M Kit
Solar Radiometer
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Periscope

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department