Question

Where are the Pioneer and Voyager space probes? Are they still operating? Is anybody listening to them?

Asked by: Chris Preston

Answer

These space probes are still operating though they are not providing scientific information any longer. In fact NASA announced just recently that it was going to try to make contact with Pioneer if the craft is still capable of sending transmissions. Voyager 1 is now about 12 billion kilometers from earth and Pioneer (actually Pioneer 10) is even farther away and heading towards the constellation Taurus (though it won't get there any time soon!).

If you are interested in learning more about the status of these projects I would refer you to the NASA website where all ongoing projects are listed:

http://www.nasa.gov/projects.html

Answered by: Brent Nelson, M.A. Physics, Ph.D. Student, UC Berkeley

Search

Loading

'My scientific work is motivated by an irresistible longing to understand the secrets of nature and by no other feelings.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
CHEM C1000 Chemistry Kit v2.0
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Periscope
Potato Clock 4M Kit
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
4M Kitchen Science Kit
Mini Plasma Ball
Top Secret - Spinning Top

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department