PhysLink.com Logo
Black Friday Sale 2017 - Educational Gifts and Toys

Question

Do the moon and sun appear larger on the horizon, or is it just me?
Asked by: Jon Reimer

Answer

This is an interesting question because there is no universal agreement on the answer. An interesting experiment that you can perform is when you see a large full moon near the horizon, turn around facing away from it. Then bend over and look at the moon between your legs. Most people see it as a normal size. For a full discussion of the various theories see the following URL:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/mccreadd/introduction.html
Answered by: Robert Gardner, M.S., Retired Physicist

'I beseech you to take interest in these sacred domains so expressively called laboratories. Ask that there be more and that they be adorned for these are the temples of the future, wealth and well-being. It is here that humanity will grow, strengthen and improve. Here, humanity will learn to read progress and individual harmony in the works of nature, while humanity's own works are all too often those of barbarism, fanaticism and destruction.'

Louis Pasteur
(1822-1895)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2017 PhysLink.com