PhysLink.com Logo
Black Friday Sale 2017 - Educational Gifts and Toys

Question

How do you prove a number, like e or pi, to be transcendental?
Asked by: Nathan Douglass

Answer

There is no general theorem that identifies transcendental numbers to my knowledge. However, there are theorems that do so for special cases. Of these theorems, Gelfond's theorem is probably the most useful. It states: If a number 'r' is not the root of any polynomial equation with integer coefficients of any degree, then 'r' is transcendental.

Cantor proved the existence of transcendental numbers. Hermite (1873) proved that the number 'e' is transcendental. Lindemann (1882)proved that 'pi' is transcendental.
Answered by: Vince Calder, Ph.D., Physical Chemist, retired

Answer

You can find a fantastic explanation of transcendental numbers, and their history at the following website: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TranscendentalNumber.html
Answered by: Eric Baicy, B.S., Seattle

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2017 PhysLink.com