PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How many astronomical units are in a light year?
Asked by: Justin Dopiriak

Answer

A good approximation would be:

1 light-year = 63240 AU (astronomical units)

Just for information, 1 light-year is equivalent to the distance travelled by light in 1 year moving in a vacuum. 1 light-year is about 9.4607 * 1015 metres.

1 astronomical unit (AU) is equivalent to the average radius of the Earth's orbit. 1 AU is about 1.4960 * 1011 metres.

Simple arithmetic calculation yields the answer that 1 light-year = 63240 AU to a good approximation.
Answered by: Ryan Leong, Undergraduate, NUS, Singapore

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'To myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.'

Isaac Newton
(1643-1727)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy