PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How long did radio commands take to travel from the Earth to Voyager as it passed Neptune?
Asked by: Amanda

Answer

Well, radio waves are electromagnetic waves, so they travel at the speed of light, which is about 3x108 m/s. According to http://www.physlink.com/Reference/AstroPhysical.cfm , Neptune is 4.5x1012 m away from the sun, and since Earth is only 1.5x10^11 m away from the sun, I'll just assume that we're about 4.5x1012 m away from Neptune.

This means that the radio signals took (4.5x1012 m) / (3x108 m/s) = 15,000 seconds (or a little over 4 hours) to get to the Voyager.
Answered by: Gregory Ogin, Physics Undergraduate Student, UST, St. Paul, MN

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'I beseech you to take interest in these sacred domains so expressively called laboratories. Ask that there be more and that they be adorned for these are the temples of the future, wealth and well-being. It is here that humanity will grow, strengthen and improve. Here, humanity will learn to read progress and individual harmony in the works of nature, while humanity's own works are all too often those of barbarism, fanaticism and destruction.'

Louis Pasteur
(1822-1895)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy