PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How is the exact value of pi determined?
Asked by: Charlie Hinkle

Answer

The value of pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Therefore, you can determine the value of pi by drawing ANY perfect circle (either physically or in a computer program simulation), then measure it's circumference and diameter, take the ratio and that's it!

The value of pi correct to seven decimal places is: 3.1415926. Pi is an irrational number, i.e. it cannot be expressed by a whole number or a common fraction. According to Encarta Encyclopedia pi has been worked out to a million decimal places by a computer without coming to a whole fraction.
Answered by: Doris Thomas and Anton Skorucak

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy