Question

Since hydrofluoric acid (HF) will eat through just about anything, in what and how is it stored?

Asked by: JJ True

Answer

This is a better question for chemists, and being a physicist, my answer can't be regarded as an 'expert' answer, but rather as the answer of a curious guy who messed around in the chemistry lab a lot in high school.

First, HF (hydrofluoric acid) has the property that it can eat through glass. Glass is mainly SiO2, and since no element but F has the ability to dislodge oxygen from its bond, glass containers are used for all sorts of acids (HCl, H2SO4, HNO3). HF can react with glass, so it doesn't work there. But, HF, due to the already strong bond between the H and F (F is too electronegative for its own good) is not a strong acid otherwise. It can only react very slowly with materials other than those containing ionic bonds. Thus, HF is stored in plastic containers (I have seen HF bottles), which are mainly organic compounds which contain few, if any, ionic bonds which would be affected by HF. Also, HF, due to the small molecule size can penetrate through human skin, and is very poisonous.

Answered by: Yasar Safkan, Ph.D. M.I.T., Software Engineer, Istanbul, Turkey

Search

Loading

'Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.'

Carl Sagan
(1934-1996)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
Cool Summer Science Projects

Why not make science a part of your family’s summer? Perhaps you can set aside one day a week for outdoor projects—maybe Mad Scientist Monday or Scientific Saturday? Here are a few ideas to help get you started. Continue reading ...

10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
3D Magnetic Field Tube
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
Periscope
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Potato Clock 4M Kit
Mini Plasma Ball
Clean Water Science 4M Kit
Solar Radiometer

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department