Question

Since hydrofluoric acid (HF) will eat through just about anything, in what and how is it stored?

Asked by: JJ True

Answer

This is a better question for chemists, and being a physicist, my answer can't be regarded as an 'expert' answer, but rather as the answer of a curious guy who messed around in the chemistry lab a lot in high school.

First, HF (hydrofluoric acid) has the property that it can eat through glass. Glass is mainly SiO2, and since no element but F has the ability to dislodge oxygen from its bond, glass containers are used for all sorts of acids (HCl, H2SO4, HNO3). HF can react with glass, so it doesn't work there. But, HF, due to the already strong bond between the H and F (F is too electronegative for its own good) is not a strong acid otherwise. It can only react very slowly with materials other than those containing ionic bonds. Thus, HF is stored in plastic containers (I have seen HF bottles), which are mainly organic compounds which contain few, if any, ionic bonds which would be affected by HF. Also, HF, due to the small molecule size can penetrate through human skin, and is very poisonous.

Answered by: Yasar Safkan, Ph.D. M.I.T., Software Engineer, Istanbul, Turkey

Search

Loading

'I beseech you to take interest in these sacred domains so expressively called laboratories. Ask that there be more and that they be adorned for these are the temples of the future, wealth and well-being. It is here that humanity will grow, strengthen and improve. Here, humanity will learn to read progress and individual harmony in the works of nature, while humanity's own works are all too often those of barbarism, fanaticism and destruction.'

Louis Pasteur
(1822-1895)

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
Snap Circuits Jr.
CHEM C2000 Chemistry SuperKit v2.0
Periscope
Space Wonder Gyroscope
Solar Radiometer
Mini Plasma Ball
Smart Robot 4M Kit
130 Electronics Projects Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department