Question

What is the difference between diffusion and dissolving?

Asked by: Agy Jojy

Answer

Diffusion is the passage of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. Dissolving is the bombardment of a solvent (e.g. water) on solute molecules (something that can dissolve, like sugar) forcing them apart. The solute mixes with a solvent to form a solution.

Answered by: Tin Lun Choi, High School Student

Search

Loading

Click here to get
a FREE ride with Uber!

Click here to
sign up for Birchbox

'Arrows of hate have been shot at me too, but they have never hit me, because somehow they belonged to another world with which I have no connection whatsoever.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Deluxe Water Rocket Set
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
Scorpion, Ant, Wasp and Flower Bug
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Solar Radiometer
Enviro Battery 4M Kit
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Wood Grain Newtons Cradle
Brush Robot 4M Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department