PhysLink.com Logo

Question

What is the wavelength of UVa, UVb, and UVc light measured in nanometers, and frequency (in Hz)?
Asked by: Richard M. Arnold, B.S.

Answer

According to multiple sources (NASA, FDA, and others) here are the wavelengths of the UVA, UVB and UVC regions:

UVA 400 nm - 320 nm
UVB 320 nm - 290 nm
UVC 290 nm - 100 nm

Note: nm means nanometer (400 nm = 400 x 10-9 meters or 0.0000004 meters)

As far as the frequency is concerned I will let you do the math: frequency = speed of light / wavelength.

You can read more about UVA, UVB and UVC regions of ultraviolet light and their impact on humans by visiting these web sites:

Everything You Ever Wanted to Ask About Ultraviolet Light (NASA)
US FDA (Food and Drug Administration)
HealthLINK (by University of Wisconsin)
Answered by: Anton Skorucak, M.S. Physics, PhysLink.com Creator

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - and yet it is the most precious thing we have.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy