Question

What is the volume of Earth?

Asked by: Dallas

Answer

The earth is approximately a sphere (actually it is sphere slightly flattened at the poles). Its volume can be calculated if you know its radius. Use the equation for the volume of a sphere which is V = 4/3 Greek Pi x Radius3

The Huge EarthThe mean radius of the earth is approximately 6.4 million meters (exact = 6.37 x 106 m). Its volume is then:

(4/3) x 3.14 x 64000003 m3

This comes to 1,097,509,500,000,000,000,000 cubic meters. Needless to say, this is very large! Inside of one cubic meter you could fit seven or eight high school students. I know, I teach high school and I have fit eight students in a cubic meter! So, this would be 137,188,690,000,000,000,000 students. Is your high school this big?

This number of students is so large that if you could count one number per second it would take you more than 4 trillion years to count this high. If you counted by millions it would still take you over a million years to get to this number! It would take you over eight million years to count to the number of cubic meters the earth is. So, the earth is very large indeed!

Answered by: Tom Young, B.A., Science Teacher, Whitehouse High School

Search

Loading

Support Discovery Capsule - Anton's new project on Kickstarter.

'What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths ...!'

Christiaan Huygens
(1629-1695)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
Cool Summer Science Projects

Why not make science a part of your family’s summer? Perhaps you can set aside one day a week for outdoor projects—maybe Mad Scientist Monday or Scientific Saturday? Here are a few ideas to help get you started. Continue reading ...

10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Space Wonder Gyroscope
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Solar Radiometer
Wood Grain Newtons Cradle
Brush Robot 4M Kit
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Electric Plane Launcher 4M Kit
Periscope

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department