Question

How do diffraction gratings tell us information about distant stars and galaxies?

Asked by: Dina

Answer

The connection between diffraction gratings and stars is found in spectroscopy, which is the study of the relative brightness of an object at each wavelength of light (electromagnetic radiation) it emits or absorbs. Each element has a unique 'fingerprint' determined by the allowable electron energies surrounding its nucleus, causing it to emit or absorb specific wavelengths of light.

Information about a star's composition, magnetic fields, motion, temperature and pressure can, therefore, be obtained by analyzing its light's intensity at each wavelength. To allow that analysis, the star's total emitted light must be broken down into individual wavelengths just at a prism or rainbow separates sunlight into distinct wavelengths, or colors.

A prism takes advantage of dispersion, which results from the fact that different colors of light travel through glass at different speeds, depending on wavelength.

A diffraction grating can accomplish the same separation of colors because of diffraction. A light ray reflected (or transmitted) by a grooves in the grating will either interfere constructively or destructively with the ray from the groove next to it, depending on the angle it emerges and the light's wavelength. You can see this color separation by looking at white light reflected from the grooves of a CD.

The advantage of a grating over a prism is that light passing through a prism can be absorbed (and lost), while a grating's reflected light spectrum does not have to be transmitted through any material. It is the same advantage of using a reflecting telescope over a refracting one.

Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A., Part-Time Physics Instructor

Search

Loading

Support Discovery Capsule - Anton's new project on Kickstarter.

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
Cool Summer Science Projects

Why not make science a part of your family’s summer? Perhaps you can set aside one day a week for outdoor projects—maybe Mad Scientist Monday or Scientific Saturday? Here are a few ideas to help get you started. Continue reading ...

10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Deluxe Water Rocket Set
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
Scorpion, Ant, Wasp and Flower Bug
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Solar Radiometer
Enviro Battery 4M Kit
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Wood Grain Newtons Cradle
Brush Robot 4M Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department