Question

If you pour soda pop into a glass at room temperature is fizzes, but if you pour it into ice it fizzes a lot. Though carbon dioxide is more soluble in the pop at low temperature, why does it fizz more with the ice?

Asked by: Bob Snyder

Answer

It isn't the coldness, but the surface of the ice cube itself that creates the fizz.

Bubbles form more easily on rough surfaces than smooth ones. If you have a pan with tiny scratches on its inside bottom, try putting it on a burner with some water in it. Just as it starts to show signs of boiling, you'll notice the first bubbles form along those scratch marks. These areas are called 'cavitation sites'.

An ice cube dropped into a sparkling beverage generates bubbles NOT because of its temperature, but because its surface roughness provides more cavitation sites.

Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A., Part-Time Physics Instructor

The extra fizz in a glass full of ice is due to a 'seeding effect.' Although you are correct that the solubility of CO2 is higher in colder soda, The formation of visible bubbles is also dependent on the collection of gas molecules together. Due to the polarity of water and the non-polar nature of CO2 molecules, any nascent bubble will quickly enlarge as nearby molecules collide and merge with it. The gas molecules are far less likely to return to the polar aqueous environment surrounding the bubble, as the attraction between water molecule squeezes the CO2 out from between the water molecules. So if you can get a bubble started, it will grow to visible size and float to the top.

The ice provides a substrate with small crystalline holes which can temporarily hold a few CO2 molecules near each other and get the ball rolling. You can see the same effect if you pour your soda into a glass with a scratch on the inside, and a similar effect if you just use a dirty glass (try rubbing your finger up one side before pouring).

This effect is noticeable only because the solubility of CO2 is so low in water in the first place. The random collisions of particles at refrigerator cold temperatures is low enough to allow many distant CO2 molecules to remain isolated for a long time (many minutes) without a little help from some surface.

Answered by: Rob Landolfi, None, Science Teacher, Washington, DC

Search

Loading

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Cricket, Locust, Beetle and Crab
Solar Radiometer
Weather Station 4M Kit
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Clean Water Science 4M Kit
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Periodic Table of Elements Poster - Laminated
Solar Science 4M Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department