PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How many astronomical units are in a light year?
Asked by: Justin Dopiriak

Answer

A good approximation would be:

1 light-year = 63240 AU (astronomical units)

Just for information, 1 light-year is equivalent to the distance travelled by light in 1 year moving in a vacuum. 1 light-year is about 9.4607 * 1015 metres.

1 astronomical unit (AU) is equivalent to the average radius of the Earth's orbit. 1 AU is about 1.4960 * 1011 metres.

Simple arithmetic calculation yields the answer that 1 light-year = 63240 AU to a good approximation.
Answered by: Ryan Leong, Undergraduate, NUS, Singapore

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy