Question

Why does firewood crackle when it is thrown in a fire?

Asked by: Susannah

Answer

If you have ever "distilled wood", you already know the answer to this question.

Solids and liquids do not burn. First they vaporize to a gas, then the gas burns. When wood is burned, the wood itself vaporizes. Much of this vapor is gaseous wood alcohol and water/steam. If too much vapor is trapped inside the wood, it will exert pressure and cause the wood to pop which causes the crackle.

"Distilling Wood" can be done by heating wood chips in a test tube and condensing the effluent vapor. This produces water, wood alcohol and activated charcoal.

Answered by: Christopher Ingram, B.S., Independent thinker

Search

Loading

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
KonusScience 5 Way Microscope Kit
Tin Can Robot 4M Kit
Periscope
Potato Clock 4M Kit
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Top Secret - Spinning Top
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Cool Blue Light Experiment Kit
Weather Station 4M Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department