PhysLink.com Logo

Question

How does Earth's Rotation relate to time taken by aircraft to reach from say India to the United States and back?
Asked by: Sheetal V Shah

Answer

Because Earth's rotation carries the atmosphere along with it, it has no direct impact on air travel in either direction. There is an indirect affect, however, because Earth's rotation creates the Coriolis affect which determines wind patterns as air flows from high to low pressure areas.

With no rotation, wind patterns would generally be in a north-south direction as rising warm air near the equator was replaced by cooler air from the poles. Rotation diverts that flow to create an east-west component. The prevailing west-to-east air flow in the U.S., for example, causes most flights from California to New York to take less time than those from New York to California.
Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A., Part-time Physics/Astronomy Instructor

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy