PhysLink.com Logo

Question

What are Lambert's Laws?
Asked by: Annemarie Straube

Answer

1. The illuminance of a surface illuminated by light falling on it perpendicularly from a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the surface and source.

2. If the rays make an angle x with the normal to the surface, the illuminance is proportional to cos(x).

3. (Also called Bouquer�s law) The luminous intensity (I) of light decreases exponentially with the distance d that it enters an absorbing medium i.e. I = Io exp(-z d)

Where Io is the intensity of the radiation that enters the medium and z is its linear absorption coefficient. These laws were first stated (for light) by Johann H. Lambert.
Answered by: Dan Summons, Physics Undergrad Student, UOS, Souhampton

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'Physicists like to think that all you have to do is say, these are the conditions, now what happens next?'

Richard Phillips Feynman
(1918-1988)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy