PhysLink.com Logo

Question

I have noticed that many Einstein quotes mention his belief in 'truth and beauty' - I was wondering, is it purely coincidental that two of the six quarks are also named truth and beauty?
Asked by: Jenn Comito

Answer

The six quarks are up, down, strange, charm, top and bottom. I don't believe any of these have a reference to Einstein behind them. However, in science there is a guideline know as the Copernican Principle that states that the universe does not need human contrivance to exist. More generally, a theory that is formed on basic truths and simplistic beauty is much more acceptable than one with many in-depth facets. Einstein did believe that the universe is essentially simple. This explains his continued unrest with the quantum theory and the 'fuzzy' universe it allowed.
Answered by: Bruce McElwee

'One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2017 PhysLink.com