PhysLink.com Logo

Question

Can you hit a golfball into orbit on the moon?
Asked by: Eric

Answer

The escape velocity of an object from the surface of any planet, moon or star is:

V=((2*G*M)/R)(1/2)

Where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass, and R is the radius of the planet, moon or star.

G=6.673 x 10-11Nm/kg2
Mass of the moon = 7.36 x 1022kg
Mean radius of the moon = 1.74 x 106m

The escape velocity from the surface of the moon is approximately 2380 m/s. In conclusion I think it is obvious to the most casual observer that it is not possible for a human to drive a golf ball at these speeds. No, you cannot hit a golf ball into orbit on the moon.
Answered by: Fred Cordova, None, Junior Math/Mech Engr Student, Walla Walla College

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy