Question

What is a sonic boom and how is it produced?

Asked by: Lockyear

Answer

Sonic boom is a common name for the loud noise that is created by the 'shock wave' produced by the air-plane that is traveling at speeds greater than that of sound ( speed of sound is approximately 332 m/s or 1195 km/hr or 717 miles/hour). These speeds are called supersonic speeds, hence this phenomena is sometimes called the supersonic boom.

Normally, for a plane that is going at subsonic speeds (lower than that of sound), the sound of the plane is radiated in all directions. However, the individual sound wavelets are compressed at the front of the plane and further spread at the back of the plane because of the forward speed of the plane. This effect is known as the Doppler effect and accounts for the change of the 'pitch' of the plane's sound as it passes us. When the plane is approaching us it's sound has a higher pitch than if it is going away from us.

Now, if the plane is traveling at the supersonic speeds (greater than that of sound), it is going faster than it's own sound. As a result, a pressure (sound is variation in pressure) wave is produced in the shape of the cone whose vertex is at the nose of the plane, and whose base is behind the plane. The angle opening of the cone depends on the actual speed the plane is traveling at. All of the sound pressure is contained in this cone.

So imagine now this plane in a level flight. Before the plane passes you, you can only see it but you can not hear anything. The pressure cone is trailing behind the plane. Once your ears intersect the edge of this cone, your will hear a very loud sound - the sonic boom. Therefore you will hear the sonic boom once your ears intersect this cone, and not when the plane breaks the sound barrier (as it is commonly misunderstood)

The sonic booms can be sometimes quite loud. For a commercial supersonic transport plane (SST), it can be as loud as 136 decibels, or 120 Pa (in units of pressure).

Answered by: Anton Skorucak, M.S. Physics, PhysLink.com Creator

Search

Loading

'A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)
Science Sidebar | Science Education Articles
10 Ways to Keep Your Kids Interested In Science

Young children are natural scientists: they ask questions, pick up sticks and bugs outside, and are curious about the world around them. But as they get a bit older, many kids gradually lose their interest in science. They might see it as just another task at school, something that doesn't apply to their lives. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, so here are ten ways you can remind your kids that science is everywhere. Most of these are fun for adults, too! Continue reading ...

Top Selling

Here are our physics & astronomy bestsellers:
Magnetic Levitator - Classic
12 inch Galileo Thermometer
Cricket, Locust, Beetle and Crab
Solar Radiometer
Weather Station 4M Kit
3D Magnetic Field Tube
Clean Water Science 4M Kit
Revolving Multi-Color Fiberoptic Light
Periodic Table of Elements Poster - Laminated
Solar Science 4M Kit

Sponsors

USC University of Southern California Dornsife College Physics and Astronomy Department McMaster University Physics and Astronomy Department