PhysLink.com Logo

Question

Has anyone ever calculated how far we are from the point of the big bang?
Asked by: Justin Dopiriak

Answer

The Big Bang Theory does not suggest that an initial universal expansion began at a 'point in space'. Space itself was created with the Big Bang so it actually occurred everywhere at once, not at a specific point. Along with all the matter and energy in today's Universe, space itself began with that event and has been expanding ever since.

Time also began with the Big Bang, so it would also be 'pointless' to ask what happened before then.
Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A., Part-time Physics/Astronomy Instructor

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy