PhysLink.com Logo

Question

Does seismic activity on Mauna Kea effect the operation of the telescopes there?
Asked by: Captain Darryl Welch

Answer

Mauna Kea is a dormant volcano. Seismic activity is much less of a concern than wind.

The summit of Mauna Kea is home to a dozen or so world-class observatories. The largest, and most well-known is the Keck Observatory.

According to their official website:

'On the telescope, each segment's figure is kept stable by a system of extremely stable support structures and adjustable warping harnesses. During observing, a computer-controlled system of sensors and actuators (or precision pistons) adjusts the position of each segment - relative to its neighbors - to an accuracy of four nanometers, or 1,000 times thinner than a human hair.'

You can learn more about the W.M. Keck Observatory here: http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu:3636/
Answered by: Charles Hill, Network Engineer, Deltona, FL

Support US

Our server costs have gone up and our advertising revenue has gone down. You do the math! If you find our site useful, consider donating to keep us going. Thanks!

'Arrows of hate have been shot at me too, but they have never hit me, because somehow they belonged to another world with which I have no connection whatsoever.'

Albert Einstein
(1879-1955)

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2018 PhysLink.com   Privacy Statement | Cookie Policy